Tuesday 4 August 2009

Jolly July


Well I've had a very jolly July - it being my birthday month ... my friend Joy served up this lovely
tomato tart on her retro china for a birthday lunch and all the way from Brazil I received this pretty piece of hand crafted embroidery from a fairy fan called Silvia.


She tells me it is called file ( with an accent over the e ) work - it looks rather like our drawn thread work. Isn't the internet a wonderful thing when it brings people from all over the world closer ! Thank you Silvia.


Another delight at this time of year has to be visiting wonderful gardens and I am glad to report that I have finally managed to go to Great Dixter. For all non gardeners it was the home and garden of the great plants man Christopher Lloyd , who like myself had a penchant for dacshunds and there is a great pebble mosaic on that subject in the garden.
The amazing thing about the place I think is the profusion of flowers crammed together in the most unexpected combinations ... exubrient planting wrapped around a Lutyens restored house where he grew up and if you go earlier in the summer the wild flower meadows are really beautiful. ( I confess that I have been twice but that was only because Sissinghurst was closed because I hadn't checked and it's near enough to make a detour to to save the day from being a wash out .) It was still exciting to see it the second time a month later with all the subtle changes.
Anyway it got me into a frenzy of colour and texture and below are some pictures of his garden and some details of some new fairy garden embroideries.

I have been mixing in more of my crochet in with the stitching for a greater depth of texture ( on the lower portion. )











I will leave you with a picture of this wonderful dangly tree - anyone know it's name ?!

3 comments:

snapson said...

Absolutely beautiful Lesley! I'm afraid I don't know the name of the dnagly tree!! Sue V x

Cristiano Rosa said...

Lesley,
how sweet of you to post the picture of the tea set I sent you from this tropical lands!
They are just a plain homage to your wonderful work!
Thank you for the post and mostly, congratulations on such lovely new fairies.
Sílvia - from Brazil

Anonymous said...

All basic info included here.Thanks for sharing it.....


Packers and movers in pune
Best Packers and movers in pune
Top packers and movers in pune
movers and packers in pune
Quality packers and movers in pune