Sunday 19 January 2014

Whilst the Fairies are Sleeping ...



All quiet here at the cottage at the moment as many fairies are hibernating ( and if not fully asleep then getting up much later these grey mornings.)
 Despite the murkiness and general lack of light it never ceases to amaze me just how much wonderful colour there is to absorb even in January , in fact the combinations are often even more inspiring in their subtlety and so I  have been gathering bits and pieces together for new year inspiration with drabness in mind. From top left to right I was really pleased to find this old bundle of tarnished gilt thread ( which makes great fairy hair ) and some mouse and chocolate coloured ribbon.

Below is some beloved hydrangea that had been naturally dried by the wind and some some nice copper sparkly braid ...


Also recently purchased , velvet ribbons ...
 Some spools  ... softly dyed blue linen, sludgy taffetta ribbon and some pleated furnishing edging.

I found these nice and knobbly twigs on a walk and  this tiny flowered Lace Cap hydrangea sprig which will look really magical with a sprinkle of fairy dust.

 First embroidery of the year is this little garden ( not quite finished ) but it does illustrate how these colours seep into one's subconscious ... I can't imagine diving into a bright pink palette until at least May comes around !

 Another winter pastime is to sort out my crochet projects and these granny squares have been in need of blocking for sometime , so with a good play on the radio I set out with gritted teeth to spray and pin each 3.5 inch square into place - some doing when there are over 100 of them but well worth the effort
for the finished look of a blanket. I use an old cotton mat , folded over a few times to get a good depth to pin into. Next step to sew them all together...


 Now I shall just tip toe away from these sleeping fairies I found under under this 2 inch granny square cushion I am making but which I am due to unpick as I didn't bother to block it - perhaps some fairy fingers will help me when they wake up !


No comments: